Tuesday 4 August 2015

Is It A Vacation, or a "Family Vacation"?

The family went to a cottage for a week's vacation.  Vacation happened, we relaxed by the water, did some swimming and camp-fire-ing, visiting with nature and all that.  However the royal "we" also:

  • Packed up shop at home for about 3 days (which includes numerous loads of laundry, and trips to the grocery store etc.) then jammed it all into the back of the truck
  • Made the beds, swept the floor, stocked the fridge, organized the luggage, and so on AT the cottage when we arrived
  • Cooked, cleaned, washed the dishes (by hand!), made the beds (some days), swept our messes up, and washed some clothes by hand in the sink
  • Had an eye on the kids at all times - are they on the dock?  do they have lifejackets on? did they have breakfast? is it bedtime? is the fire going? are they close to it? and so on...


I was happy to go back to work after returning home and washing yet more loads of laundry and trying to put the house back together after we took all the important stuff away with us.  That trip was definitely a "family vacation."

Later this week hubby and I are taking some time for ourselves and going to Toronto for a few days.  My parents are having the girls stay with them for those same few days (plus an extra 2 overnights, before and after).  So far for this trip I have:

  • Packed luggage for the girls, as well as accessory bags with toys and food they'll actually eat
  • Done yet more laundry for everyone to have clean clothes while away
  • and tried to not buy much groceries for the time between these two trips so I don't have to throw out food when we get back!
I can't wait to stay in a hotel for a few nights, and eat some meals out and about that I don't even have to think about until I get where I'm eating (and that I don't have to clean up after!!).  I also can't wait to not have to put the kids to bed for a few nights, and to stay up late(r) without knowing someone will be up at 6:20 to get me up.  Sadly I know I will be awake before 7am most days anyway, as I'm now biologically programmed that way.

We have a few things planned (a baseball game, visits with friends, and a trip to Canada's Wonderland) but overall we're just going to be with each other and do what strikes our fancy.  What I do know is this is a much better chance for me to relax, than when we're at a waterfront with two young kids and no maid service! ;)

Toodles!

2 comments:

  1. Darlene Beauchamp5 August 2015 at 19:42

    I love your posts, they are so true and most people I am sure can relate!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Darlene! I'm glad you are enjoying my posts. This is something I've wanted to try for a while so I'm glad it's reaching people who can appreciate the blog! :D

    ReplyDelete